Chickpea Cookies? Does that sound different to you? Indians often associate chickpea with savory dishes, when in fact, it is a very versatile ingredient.
These are eggless chickpea chocolate chip cookies. Recipe with step-by-step instructions below.
Ingredients (makes 24 medium sized cookies)
2 cups cooked chickpeas
½ stick butter – 4 oz
½ cup sugar
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla
¼ cup chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)
Handful of chopped walnuts
Pinch of salt
How to prepare recipe
- In a food processor, add 2 cups chickpeas, sugar, vanilla, butter, baking soda, baking powder and salt and grind it to a paste
- Add the chopped chocolate pieces and walnut pieces and pulse to swirl it in.
- Pour the batter into a container and chill it in the freezer for an hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Preset oven to 350F
- Take the chilled dough and using cookie scoops, line them in rows in a baking tray
- Bake for 20 minutes or slightly longer till the edges turn golden brown
Step by Step Photos
- Add chickpeas to food processor
2. Add sugar, add more if you like sweeter.
3. Add melted butter
4. Add vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt
5. Add in chocolate pieces and walnut pieces and pulse to swirl in
6. Refrigerate batter overnight or in the freezer for an hour
7.Preheat oven to 350 F
8. Take dough out and scoop out individual cookies. Enlist your kids help in this. They love it!!
9. Take the delicious cookies out at 20 minutes or more. Look for browning of edges.
10. Do not touch the cookies for 5 minutes. Let it cool before taking them out.
Perfect snack for kids after school!! Enjoy!!
Why chickpeas? Because they are low glycemic compared to grains (even whole grains).
Why did I use sugar and butter? I used half the amount required than in normal cookie recipes. Without that, it is hard to make a cookie. You can substitute coconut oil instead of butter to make it completely vegan.
Why do you have to freeze the dough before baking? It will give you better shape and better cookies
Why is the baking time higher than normal? This cookie has a higher water content than normal cookies. It needs more time in the oven
Total Fat 6.4 g
Cholesterol 10.4 mg
Sodium 61.2 mg
Potassium 46.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 1.4 g
Have you tried any wacky “health variations” on a regular recipe? That is my favorite hobby. What about you? Share your stories down below or at my Facebook page.