I already have a post here for chewy chickpea chocolate chip cookies. This one is for you Crispy Cookie Lovers!!!
This is an easy go-to recipe to have a quick, healthy dessert with minimal effort. One caveat – You have to remember to soak dried chickpeas overnight. In the morning, just process all the ingredients in the food processor and bake…Ta da!!…cookies ready in 13 minutes.
These are thin crispy, quite crumbly cookies. Unlike wheat, chickpea does not have gluten, so they will not rise, instead they will spread in the oven. But, the smell of the cookies are delightful and they taste great too. My family cleaned an entire batch on a Sunday, with requests for more cookies. Even from the picky one!! That, my dear friends, makes for a very happy mom!!!
Extra nerdy info
If you are wondering the difference between this recipe and the chewy cookie – when you take a cooked chickpea (or canned ones), the liquid it is cooked in has a protein suspended in water feel – like an egg. So it binds the cookie better. But in this case, you are soaking and baking it, so you do not get to use that egg-like property. In fact, if you add egg, chia or flax to this recipe, you might get a lot more compact cookie than I did. Being eggless is also partly why they tend to crumble if you pick them too early before they cool off.
Ingredients (makes 24 medium sized cookies)
2 cups chickpeas soaked in water overnight (not canned, but dried ones)
½ stick butter – 4 oz (make it vegan by replacing this with coconut oil)
½ cup sugar
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla
¼ cup chocolate chips
Pinch of salt
How to prepare recipe
- Soak one cup of dried chickpeas overnight in water. By morning, they will become between 2-3 times its original volume.
- Preset oven to 350F
- In a food processor, add 2 cups soaked chickpeas and grind it to a coarse paste
- Consecutively add sugar, vanilla, butter, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the food processor and mix.
- Add the chopped chocolate pieces and pulse to swirl it in.
- Butter the baking tray to avoid the cookies sticking to the bottom
- Take the dough and using cookie scoops, line them in rows in a baking tray
- Bake for 13 minutes or slightly longer till the edges turn golden brown
Step by Step Photos
- Soak dried chickpeas in water overnight
2. Preheat oven to 350 F
3. Add 2 cups soaked chickpeas and grind to a coarse paste
4. Add 4 oz butter (or coconut oil for vegans)
5. Add 1/2 cup sugar, add more if you like sweeter.
6. Add vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt
7. Add in chocolate chip pieces and pulse to swirl in
8. Butter the baking tray
9. Take dough out and scoop out individual cookies. Enlist your kids help in this. They love it!!
10. Take the delicious cookies out at around 13 minutes. Look for browning of edges.
11. Do not touch the cookies for 5 minutes. Let it cool before taking them out.
Perfect snack for kids after school!! Enjoy!!
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 4.7 g
Saturated Fat 2.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.2 g
Cholesterol 10.4 mg
Sodium 60.3 mg
Potassium 35.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 1.0 g