There are times when all my daughter wants is a grilled cheese sandwich, you know the melty, gooey types. Here are my problems with the typical grilled sandwich
- No veggies
- Bland taste
- High calories, low satiety
Nobody wants to cook multiple dishes for different family members.
Here’s a twist on the traditional grilled cheese sandwich that you can make for the adults and the older kids: A Chana Masala Sandwich!!
Chana Masala Sandwich
This sandwich doesn’t need any fancy ingredients. You should have all the items in the pantry and refrigerator –
Canned chickpeas, Chaat Masala, finely chopped veggies (onion, tomatoes, coriander), mozzarella cheese/paneer, (mozzarella has the stringy consistency that kids love) and nutritional yeast (optional).
Adding veggies, herbs and beans to your sandwich adds bulk.
Chaat masala gives a nice tangy, spicy kick to the sandwich.
Nutritional Yeast is available in specialty grocery stores. It has a nice, cheesy flavor and an excellent source of vitamins (especially the elusive B-12 for vegetarians and vegans).
Raw vegetables are an excellent source of fiber and keep you full for longer than cooked veggies. The raw veggies also give crunch and texture to the sandwich.
- Canned chickpeas – 1
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
- Finely chopped – onion, tomatoes, coriander
- Mozzarella cheese (can use paneer, but mozzarella has the stringy consistency that kids love)
- Nutritional Yeast (optional) – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – juice of ¼ lemon
- Hummus #1: Blend chick peas, chaat masala and salt.
- Hummus #2: Blend chick peas, nutritional yeast, salt and pinch of lemon juice
- Layer hummus, cut veggies, chopped coriander and shredded cheese on the bread. Close the sandwich and place it on the Panini maker.
- Once fully toasted, serve!!
Pair the sandwiches with a fruit smoothie for a filling meal.
Hope you like this Indian twist on the traditional grilled sandwich. Please post your comments below!!