Are you looking guiltily at the Kale packet in your refrigerator wondering what to do with it? Here’s a tasty Vegan Kale Chickpea sandwich that makes use of kale in a delicious way.
Step by Step
Cook kale in salted boiling water for a few minutes until soft and drain.
Run cool water to the drained kale and when it gets cool to touch, chop it up. Add chopped kale to 1.5 cans of drained chickpeas.
For the vegan dressing – To a blender add and grind:
- Soaked almonds
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Rice wine vinegar
- Agave syrup
This will give you a rich, creamy vegan sauce for dressing the Chickpeas and Kale. Add some dressing to the chickpea kale mixture and mix well.
I have found that the dressing tastes delicious on its own. But since the chickpeas are hearty, they can blunt the taste. So, if necessary, taste and add more lemon juice, salt after folding in the dressing.
Toast bread slices and spread the dressing. Pile on chickpea kale mix.
Top off the sandwich with crunchy, finely chopped veggies. I used finely chopped cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes and onions.
Close the sandwich and serve…
There are many possibilities with this recipe….No bread, no problem…You can add the chopped veggies straight to the Kale Chickpea mixture and eat as a salad….
You can also fill a tortilla or lavash bread with your kale chickpea filling. I have added some mashed avocados to the wrap. You can also use store-bought vegan mayo if you run low on your dressing.
Vegan Kale Chickpea SandwichCourse: Blog, Recipes, Sandwich, VeganCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This Vegan Kale Chickpea Sandwich recipe tames the raw kale texture and makes it soft by boiling the kale in salted water. A creamy vegan dressing is then added to the kale and chickpeas, and topped with chopped, crunchy vegetables.
Bread – 8 slices
Kale – 5oz
Canned chickpeas – 1.5 cans
Soaked almonds – 1/2 cup
Olive oil – 3 tsp
Lemon juice – 1/2 lemon
Rice wine vinegar – 2 tsp
Agave syrup – 2 tsp
Water – 1/3 cup
- Chopped veggies
Onions, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper
- Cook kale in salted boiling water for a few minutes until soft and drain.
- Run the kale under cool water, squeeze out the water and chop. Add chopped kale to drained (1.5) can of chickpeas.
- Blend ingredients listed under dressing.
- Add part of the dressing to the chickpea kale mixture. Adjust for taste.
- Spread dressing on toasted bread. Pile on chickpea kale mix.
- Top off the sandwich with crunchy, finely chopped veggies.
- You can also fill a tortilla or lavash bread with your kale chickpea filling.
- You can peel the almonds for a whiter looking dressing. Personally, I feel lazy to do it and the extra fiber is a nutrition boost as well.
I hope you like this Vegan Kale Chickpea Sandwich recipe. The boiling and chopping technique tames the rough texture of raw kale and makes it blend easily with the chickpeas.
If you want to see a video of my recipe, check out my Pin:
How do you use kale? Post your thoughts and comments below!! I look forward to reading them…