What does the World’s best pizza have?
Less is more, they say!! Even the world’s best pizza only has a yeasted dough, a few toppings, and a high-temperature oven. That’s all!!
For the base, why not use pita bread?
Think about it – Pita is a yeast based dough that is already made into bread. It has that chewy taste which really imitates a pizza base well.
If you have store-bought marinara sauce and cheese ready in your refrigerator, all you need to do is to slice and salt your veggies!! So easy!! Pita Pizza!!
This is a healthy Pizza:
The entire ‘pita pizza’ has only 305 calories. Compare that to 270 calories per slice from delivery pizza. If you had 3 slices of delivery pizza = 810 calories!!! That’s a huge calorie difference.
Another advantage with the ‘pita pizza’, you get to control the pizza experience.
- Give your picky kid – the cheesy one.
- Add veggies, frozen pineapple pieces for yourself (BTW, pineapple in pizza is not weird, so back off sister!!:)).
- Add marinara sauce for your husband.
If everyone is happy and quietly eating, it is peace on earth!!
This is a time-saving Pizza:
It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish for the pizza to be ready in your dining table. That is less time than it takes for the pizza to be delivered to your house. A couple of reminders
- Get the oven preheated first – It takes 10 minutes for the oven to reach that temperature and you can use that time to prep your veggies, open your cans etc.
- Use the largest cookie tray you can find to place 2 pitas at a time. You can use both the oven racks and get 4 ‘pizzas’ cooking at the same time as well.
Pizza with tomato sauce as a base – my husband’s favorite.
Easy, Healthy Pita Pizza ready in under 20 minutes
- 4 Pita Bread
- 4 oz Shredded Mozzarella
- Sliced Veggies (I used shredded bell pepper, olives, tomatoes and zucchini)
- 3-4 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 tbsp Marinara Sauce
- 4 oz Goat Cheese
- Crushed dried oregano
Preheat oven to 450F. Do this first. Also, 450 F worked best for me for the chewy pizza like taste. (I tried higher temps at 475 F and 500 F and while they still work, the pizza base starts to get crispy a little, more like a flatbread.)
Thinly slice your veggies. Use veggies that taste great even if they are raw or just partially cooked – like bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, etc. Salt the veggies to draw out the water and make them concentrated in flavor.
Layer your favorite ingredients on the pita depending on your family’s choices/preferences.
Oil your baking pan sheet. Place the pita(s) on the baking sheet.
Put it in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve them while hot.
Nutritional Info (for a loaded Pizza)
Total Fat 15.1 g
Saturated Fat 4.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.7 g
Cholesterol 22.4 mg
Sodium 770.3 mg
Potassium 205.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 11.2 g
At only about 305 calories per pita, and only 20 minutes to make!! What are you waiting for? Make it and share your comments and ideas below.