A toasted baguette filled with chewy mushrooms, roasted onions, greens, and cheese – is not just healthy, but also super delicious. Here’s an easy vegetarian sandwich that is loved by my family!!
Step by Step
Start by dry-roasting the sliced mushrooms in a nonstickpan. Do not add oil yet. It will lose a ton of moisture and cook down, after which we can add oil.
After a few minutes on medium heat, and a stir here and there…it looks like this – well cooked and ready!!
Meanwhile, in a separate cast iron skillet, start browning onions in a little oil.
Add chopped garlic pieces and chili flakes to the browned onions and stir on high heat for a few seconds.
It is important that the garlic and chili hit the oil and get well roasted to carry their flavors, but adding them too early could have burnt them. So, we wait for the onions to brown (patiently) and then add the chili-garlic.
Now time to transfer the mushrooms over to the roasted onions.
Time to add chopped greens (I used a mix of spinach and baby kale). You can use any soft greens. I used one scoop per person.
Once the greens have cooked and merged well with the rest of the filling, switch off the heat, add cheese crumbles and close the lid for a minute or 2 for the cheese to melt.
Now that the filling is ready, time to get the bread ready. I got a large French baguette from my local store, split it into 4 parts and toasted them in an air fryer (You can use an oven instead).
Scoop out the insides of the baguette to make room for the filling. Don’t throw away the insides. Toast them with some butter, salt and pepper for a delicious crouton as a salad topping.
Spread mayonnaise on the inside of the baguette.
Time to pile the stuffing on high inside the baguette!!
Roasted mushroom, greens and cheese stuffed SandwichCourse: RecipesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This toasted baguette filled with chewy mushrooms, roasted onions, greens, and cheese recipe is not just a healthy, vegetarian sandwich, but also super delicious.
Baguette – 1
Mayonnaise 4 Tbsp
- For Veggie Filling
Onion – 1 medium slices
Baby Bella Mushrooms – 16 oz sliced
Chopped greens – a few handfuls
Chopped garlic – 3-4 cloves
Cheese – Crumbles of your fav type (I used 2 pepper jack slices that I crumbled)
Chili flakes – 1 tsp
Oil – 2tsp
- Add sliced mushrooms to a non stick pan and cook down.
- In a separate pan, brown onions. Once browned, add chopped garlic, chili flakes and stir on high heat for a few seconds.
- Transfer the cooked mushrooms to the pan with the roasted onions and stir.
- Add chopped greens (1 scoop per family member would be a good amount).
- Once the greens have cooked down, switch off the heat and let the cheese melt in the residual heat.
- Toast baguette slices in an air fryer or oven (350F for about 5-7 minutes). Let it cool, then scoop out insides and spread mayo.
- Scoop the veggie-cheese fillings and pile them into the baguette. Eat!!
I hope you enjoyed this roasted mushroom, greens and cheese stuffed vegetarian sandwich recipe. The video of this recipe is available on my Pinterest channel.