This recipe is an easy vegan Shahi Tofu (vegan version of shahi paneer) ready in under 10 minutes. Let’s get straight to the recipe, shall we?
Vegan Shahi Tofu ready in 10 minutesCourse: RecipesCuisine: Indian
1 packet firm tofu
2 Tbsp Oil
1 tsp Almond Butter
1 tsp Cashew Butter
1 Frozen Ginger Cube
1 Frozen Garlic Cube
2 Tbsp Dried Onion Flakes
1/2 cup Canned Stewed Tomatoes
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
Salt to taste
- Garam Masala Spices
2 Cardamom Pods
1 in Cinnamon Sticks
- Assemble all ingredients. Keep them close, we will cook the ingredients rather quickly.
- Heat oil in a pan to medium heat. Add the whole spices (clove, cinnamon, cardamom) and saute for about 10-15 seconds.
- Saute ginger-garlic paste, dried onion, coriander powder and chilli powder. (Caution – these will burn quickly unless you have the heat on medium-low and stir continuously). Add tomatoes as soon as you see browning.
- Saute for a couple of minutes. Add the mixture, cashew butter, almond butter, salt and 1/8 of the tofu block in a coffee grinder. Grind into a fine paste.
- Add paste along with a little water back into the pan. Stir continuously on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tofu slices and carefully stir. Simmer for a few minutes. Serve.
- Just FYI – My frozen ginger, garlic cubes are from Trader Joe’s. My dried onion flakes are from Costco. Use whichever brand is available locally, Just make sure they have no preservatives added.
What makes shahi paneer (tofu) stand out from other dishes? It is the sauce that is made from pureeing roasted onions and cashew nuts. Other than that, we use the standard North Indian build-up:
- Ginger, Garlic (We used frozen cubes)
- Coriander powder, Chili powder
- Garam Masala ingredients (Clove, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
- Onions (we used dried onions) + Nuts (we used nut butter)
Why it is used?
- Ginger garlic because it is a flavor base for most stews.
- Coriander powder is added mostly whenever tomatoes are added to ground the acidity and add thickness to the stew; Chili powder for some heat.
- Garam masala needs hearty ingredients to counteract its power – in this case, we have the rich and (naturally) bland nuts and tofu to soak up its flavor-power.
- Onions + Nuts – Richness and Sweetness
The tofu pieces coated with the rich, creamy shahi sauce tastes great and was a great hit with the family!! So quick and easy, yet delicious!!
Just like busy moms everywhere, I had no time to make rotis. I served it with store-bought (fresh) lavaash bread instead. Of course, you can serve this yummy dish with rotis, pita bread or even tortillas.
Say it with me – Tasty Indian dishes like Shahi Tofu do not have to be complicated!! Using pre-processed (yet good quality and pure) ingredients, we have shortened the time for making this dish to a mere 10 minutes.
I hope this ‘Vegan Shahi Tofu recipe ready within 10 minutes’ helps you deliver tasty Shahi Tofu at your home on a regular weekday without too much stress or hassle. Let me know your thoughts and comments below. I look forward to reading them.